4 days / 3 nights
Scottish Highlands and Islands
Maximum group size 18 passengers. Special event tour.
+44 (0)2921 660 747
Small group tour: Orkneys and Scottish Highlands
Strathpeffer and the Northern Highlands to Orkney
Our journey begins in Inverness, capital of the Highlands and our springboard to visit Scotland's far North. Taking the country roads we head north; our first stop today is in the charming town of Strathpeffer nestling in the shadow of the bleak Ben Wyvis and surrounded by woodlands; we'll explore this traditional Spa town which was once a highland health resort to wealthy Victorians and still shows hallmarks of these bygone times. Then its onwards along part of the recently revived NC 500 route in to Scotland's northern highlands a remote region of desolate moorlands, deep valleys and coastal sea stacks. Leaving the mainland behind we sail to Orkney and to the islands principal town of Kirkwall, which was first settled by the Vikings. This is our island base for the next two nights.
Accommodation: West End Hotel (or similar), Orkney.
Highlights: The Scottish Highlands, Ferry to Orkney and Kirkwall.
Prehistoric Orkney (Maeshowe, Skara Brae and Broch of Gurness)
Castle Stalker, Scotland
The Orkneys boast over 600 miles of untouched coastline, awash with white-sand beaches, rugged cliffs, caves, and unique flora and fauna. Today we explore some of the islands' most renowned archaeological sites including Neolithic stone circles and the Stone Age tomb of Maeshowe. At UNESCO World Heritage Site, Skara Brae we see the excavated Neolithic settlement one of the best preserved groups of prehistoric houses in Western Europe located overlooking white beach of the Bay of Skaill. Uncovered by a storm in 1850, Skara Brae presents a remarkable picture of life around 5,000 years ago, before even Stonehenge was built. Passing through the beautiful island landscapes, where sea-birds and wild flowers are abundant, we make our way to the Broch of Gurness, where we see evidence of a Viking settlement. If the tides permit we can walk to the Brough of Birsay to visit the remains of a Viking village and hear tales including the saga of how Magnus Erlendsson, Earl of Orkney, was slain by his cousin.
Accommodation: West End Hotel (or similar), Orkney - dinner included.
Highlights: Skara Brae, Maes Howe, Broch of Gurness, Brough of Birsay and the Ring of Brodgar.
Kirkwall Town, Whisky Distillery and Naval Scapa Flow
This morning we have some free time to explore the islands main town and port, the former Viking settlement of Kirkwall. The town is host to an array of interesting historical sites including St Magnus Cathedral, Earl's Palace and Bishop's Palace and is also home to one of Scotland's best distilleries, Highland Park Distillery. Here we'll learn about the traditional methods used to produce their famous single malt whisky from malting through to the distillation process. We then travel south to Scapa Flow, which gained fame in World War Two as the base for the local British naval fleet whose primary purpose was to prevent German war ships gaining access to the Atlantic Ocean. Here we visit the famous Italian Chapel, all that remains of the former Italian Prisoner of War Camp. By evening we board the ferry back to the mainland and enjoy a farewell dinner together in Wick.
Accommodation: Mackays Hotel (or similar), Wick - dinner included.
Highlights: Kirkwall, Highland Park Whisky Distillery and Scapa Flow.
Dunrobin Castle and the Cromarty Firth
Dunrobin Castle, Scottish Highlands
Today we return South, on route we'll stop at the magnificent Dunrobin Castle where we explore the stately house which has been home to the Dukes of Sutherland since the 1400s; this magnificent castle of white-washed turrets, towers and glorious formal gardens make the Scottish highland home resemble a glorious French chateau. Later we continue south along the beautiful coastal road, as we cross the Dornoch and Cromarty Firths before making our way back to Inverness, the Capital of the Highlands, where our tour ends.
Highlights: Dunrobin Castle.
Small group tours: Orkneys and Scottish Highlands
- Stay two nights on the isle of Orkney.
- Explore Orkney at a leisurely pace, for a more in depth look at this unique corner Britain.
- Journey on the coastal road of Scotland remote Northern Highlands.
- Maximum group-size of 18 passengers for that intimate touring experience.
- 3 nights in hotel accommodation
- All transportation by luxury mini-coach
- The services of your professional driver-guide tour leader
- Full Scottish breakfast daily
- 2 x evening meals
- Whisky tasting
- A comprehensive touring programme including the following admissions:
- Skara Brae
- Broch of Gurness
- Brough of Birsay
- Earl's Palace Kirkwall
- Bishop's Palace Kirkwall
- Highland Park Distillery
- Dunrobin Castle
- Expert local advice during the planning of your trip.
- Postage of your vacation documents pack.
- Pre or post tour hotel accommodation in Inverness.
- Rail transport to/from Inverness before/after your tour.
- Accommodation in Edinburgh or other areas of Scotland.
- Airport transfers.
Small group tours: Orkneys and Scottish Highlands
DEPARTURE DATES 2017
|ADDITIONAL FEATURES||PRICE PER PERSON
(sharing twin/ double)
|Tue 05 Sep, 2017||Fri 08 Sep, 2017||Limited availability||£ 1,015|
|Tue 19 Sep, 2017||Fri 22 Sep, 2017||Limited availability||£ 1,015|
Single Supplement: £100.
All tours commence in central Inverness at 8.30am on the Start Day and finish in Inverness at around 5.30pm (approx) on the End Day.
- Prices are per person based on two people sharing a twin/double room.
- Prices are for land only tours and all tours are subject to availability.
- Prices are correct at the time of publishing to website but are subject to confirmation at time of booking.
- Prices are in British Pounds Sterling (GBP£) currency for approximate amounts in other currencies please contact us.
- All trip details are correct at time of publishing to website however due to the nature of small group tours the itinerary is flexible and is subject to change based on a variety of factors.
2018 DEPARTURES AND PRICING
We have 2018 tour dates and pricing available and are in the process of updating our website. Please contact us with your preferred dates and we will send you a quotation.