15 days / 14 nights
Yes (subject to rail timetables)
+44 (0)2921 660 747
Rail tour: Explore England by Rail
Historic Salisbury and Stonehenge
Salisbury, Wiltshire, England
Landing in London take an Express Rail link in to the city before heading out across the Wiltshire countryside to the historic city of Salisbury, home to cobbled market squares and England's tallest cathedral spire. From here a bus ride will take you to the eerie standing stones of Stonehenge on the Salisbury Plain.
Journey time: 20 minutes to London (via Gatwick/ Heathrow Express) and London Underground, followed by 1 hour 30 minutes to Salisbury (approx.)*.
Highlights: Salisbury and Stonehenge.
DAYS TWO AND THREE
Devon, Plymouth and the Cornish Coastline
Enjoy a scenic rail ride across rural Dorset in to the sunny west-country where seafaring town of Plymouth will be your base. Here you'll see the Mayflower steps from where the Pilgrim Fathers set sail to America and the citadel overlooking Plymouth Sound. You may choose to visit the Devonshire coastal towns such as Dawlish or Teignmouth. On day three enjoy a one of England's most scenic train routes across the eerie Bodmin Moor then along the rugged Cornish coast. Enjoy the charm of cobbled fishing villages such as St Ives or visit the most westerly point of Britain at Land's End. Discover tales of pirates at Penzance where you can take a short bus ride to the ferry port for the stunning St Michaels Mount home to a medieval castle and celtic monastry.
Overnight: Plymouth x 2 nights.
Journey time: 3 hours 30 minutes (approx.) - not including day excursions.
Highlights: Plymouth and the Cornish Coast.
Regency City Bath and Roman Baths
Bath Abbey, Bath, England
Pass through the Mendip Hills of Somerset before arriving in to Regency city of Bath which oozes Georgian opulence. Home to so many sites of historic importance such as the Elizabethan Abbey, Pulteney Bridge and the Royal Crescent, the entire city has been granted UNESCO World Heritage status. The highlight however will be the magnificent Roman Baths and Pump Room.
Journey time: 2 hours and 40 minutes (approx.)*.
Highlights: Bath City and Roman Baths.
DAYS FIVE AND SIX
Shakespeare's Stratford, Warwick Castle and Oxford
From Bath, ride the rails to Birmingham your convenient hub in the heart of England. From Birmingham you can visit University city of Oxford where you'll enjoy the college quads and spires of the world-renowned Oxford University which once inspired the likes of Tolkien, CS Lewis and Oscar Wilde. Stratford upon Avon is a short train journey south of Birmingham; enjoy Tudor timberwork buildings and the abundant Shakespeare Heritage including his birthplace and Anne Hathaway's Cottage. Historic town Warwick and Warwick Castle are on route back to Birmingham where you can explore the vibrant city with its historic town hall and cathedral or the modern shopping centers and fashionable canal side bars and restaurants.
Overnight: Birmingham x 2 nights.
Journey time: 1 hour and 50 minutes (approx.)*.
Highlights: Stratford upon Avon, Oxford and Birmingham.
DAYS SEVEN AND EIGHT
Historic Chester and the Beatles' Liverpool
The Beatles Story, Liverpool, England
From Birmingham journey by rail to historic Chester, home to Roman City walls and gate towers, the stunning excavated Roman Amphitheatre, an impressive cathedral and the unique Tudor Facaded "Rows" offering some unique boutique shopping. A short train ride away is the vibrant city of Liverpool which was designated as European City of Culture in 2008. Liverpool is home to two cathedrals, dozens of listed buildings, the famous Albert Docks and a wealth of Beatles Heritage including Matthews Street, the Cavern Club and the Beatles Story Exhibition.
Overnight: Chester x 2 nights.
Journey time: 1 hour and 40 minutes (approx.) - not including day excursions.
Highlights: Chester, Liverpool and The Beatles Story.
DAYS NINE AND TEN
The Lake District National Park
From Chester take a train journey into one of England's most scenic corners in the Lake District. Using local buses or tours, explore some of the country's most spectacular natural beauty including the lakes and their surrounding fells, woodlands, stone walls and quaint villages. This region is ideal for walking, hiking, photography or tranquil boat trips soaking up the scenery. Possible cultural visits include Wordsworth's Rydal Mount and Beatrix Potter's Hilltop not to mention dozens of tiny Lakeland villages.
Overnight: Windermere, Lake District x 2 nights.
Journey time: 2 hours and 45 minutes (approx.)*.
Highlights: The Lake District.
DAYS ELEVEN AND TWELVE
York City and Durham Cathedral
York Minister, York, England
Leaving the Lake District cross the wilderness of the Yorkshire Dales on route to York. Discover this magnificent city home to a wealth of historic and cultural sites such as the famous Shambles, Britain's first shopping street, the medieval city walls, gates and towers and the National Railway Museum current home of the Flying Scotsman. The highlight of course will be exploring the iconic York Minster. From York you may choose to take the train to the charming spa town of Harrogate or Durham with its magnificent World Heritage Castle and Cathedral.
Journey time: 3 hours and 30 minutes (approx.)*.
Highlights: Yorkshire Moors and York City.
DAYS THIRTEEN AND FOURTEEN
London City, Canterbury and Dover
From York take a high speed link south back to the English Capital city; London will act as you base for the next four days. Use your time to explore the city combined with day trips to renowned cities of the South East. In London you'll experience world class shopping, museums galleries and attractions such as Westminster Abbey, the Tower of London, the London Eye and Trafalgar Square. Out of London you may choose to use your rail pass to visit the stunning cathedral city of Canterbury, Dover port and its White Cliff, the funky bohemian city of Brighton or the naval city of Portsmouth.
Overnight: London x 2 nights.
Journey time: 2 hours (approx.) - not including day excursions.
Highlights: London, Canterbury and Dover.
Make your way to the airport for your return flight from Heathrow or Gatwick.
Rail tour: Explore England by Rail
- 13 nights accommodation (suggested accommodations listed below).
- Full cooked English breakfast each morning.
- Britrail England Consecutive Passes (15 day).
- Adeo travel rail information including station details, journey durations and departure times.
- Toll-free calls to your Britain vacation specialist whilst planning your trip.
- Expert assistance during the planning of your trip and local number for advice during travel
- White Hart Hotel, Salisbury x 1 night
- Duke of Cornwall Hotel, Plymouth x 2 nights
- Abbey Hotel, Bath x 1 night
- Burlington Hotel, Birmingham x 2 nights
- Westminster Hotel, Chester x 2 nights
- Burnside Hotel, Windermere x 2 nights
- Monkbar Hotel, York x 2 nights
- Lancaster Gate Hotel, Bayswater, London x 2 nights
As our rail tours are fully customizable we can tailor the suggested accommodations for your particular quotation based on your preferences, budget etc.
Unless otherwise requested all suggested accommodations for our rail tours will be within walking distance or a short taxi journey from the local railway station.
- Upgrade your rail passes for First Class Travel.
- Enjoy City Sightseeing Open Top Bus Tours in the cities of Bath, Chester, Liverpool, York and London.
- Buy advance tickets for Shakespeare's Birthplace, The Beatles Story or the London Eye.
- Purchase a London Visitor Travel card for your London travel needs.
- Enjoy a West End theatre show in London.
CUSTOMIZE THIS TOUR!
- Add extra nights in London to explore the city.
- Take a mini bus tour in the Lake District to really experience the beauty of this region.
- Combine this tour with one of our other Britain rail tours.
- Have your own rail travel expert accompany you on your tour.
Rail tour: Explore England by Rail
DEPARTURE DATES 2017/18
This self-guided tour is customizable and can be taken at any time throughout the year and starting and ending on any day of the week - simply let us know your preferred dates of travel!
Twin/Double - from GBP £1,345 per person.
Single supplements apply for solo travellers – please contact us for details
- Above pricing is an estimated "from" price based on mid-season travel (March/April).
- As this tour can be taken at any time pricing will vary dependent on departure day, date of travel, selected accommodations etc.
- Above pricing is based on suggested accommodations listed however please note that we can tailor your specific quote to accommodate your budget and preferences.
- Prices are per person based on two people sharing a twin/double room with one adult Britrail pass per person as specified.
- Prices are for land only travel and do not include flights.
- Prices are in GBP£ currency, for approximate amounts in other currencies please contact us.