11 days / 10 nights
England and Scotland
- Maximum group-size of 40
- Premium Hotels
- Tour Pace: Comfortable/Active
+44 (0)2921 660 747
Escorted coach tour: Elegance of Great Britain
Churchill's Chartwell and Hampshire
Hever Castle, Kent, England
Departing London, we head south into the Kent countryside, known as the garden of England. At the pretty village of Westerham, Winston Churchill watches over the neat village green and you visit his nearby residence of Chartwell the much-loved family home of Winston Churchill and still filled with treasures from every aspect of Churchill's life. We make our way to our hotel near England's south coast where, by evening, we join our Tour Director for Welcome Reception, with drinks and the opportunity to mingle and get to know each other over a pleasant evening of dinner and wine.
Accommodation: Botley Park Hotel, Southampton (dinner included).
Highlights: Churchill's family home and Kent, the garden of England.
The New Forest, Beaulieu and Salisbury
After a good night's rest, take a scenic drive through the woods and glades of the New Forest to Beaulieu Abbey, once a Cistercian Abbey, now the stately home of Lord Montagu. Tour the Palace House, Abbey ruins and visit his lordship's collection of cars in the National Motor Museum. Then onwards to the historic city of Salisbury home to one of England's finest cathedrals; in fact, it dates back to the 13th century and boasts both the tallest spire in the land and the best preserved original copy of the Magna Carta. By the evening, we join the locals over a hearty dinner in a countryside pub.
Accommodation: Botley Park Hotel, Southampton (dinner included in a local pub).
Highlights: Cistercian Abbey at Beaulieu, the National Motor Museum, Salisbury Cathedral and traditional pub meal.
Winchester, Avebury and Shakespeare's Stratford
Anne Hathaway's House, Statford-upon-Avon, England
This morning we make our way to historic Winchester, where King Alfred stands guard in the High Street, before traversing the country roads and villages of Wiltshire. Arriving in Avebury, we visit one of the Salisbury Plain's lesser known henges at Avebury Stone Circle; here you can wander among the stones of the inner circles and view the immense outer bank and ditch. Later we continue to medieval Stratford-upon-Avon, beautifully situated on the River Avon. Your hotel is set in its own grounds, just a short walk from the Royal Shakespeare Theatre and the town's black and white timeber-work buildings. By evening, choose to dine in one of a selection of restaurants for your Dine Around Evening.
Accommodation: The Stratford Hotel, Stratford-upon-Avon (dinner included in a choice of local restaurants).
Highlights: Historic Winchester and the Avebury Stone Circle.
Blenheim Palace and the Villages of the Cotswolds
Our journey this morning takes us through the patchwork hills and chocolate box villages of the Cotswolds countryside and admire golden sand-stone cottages with thatch rooves and roses round the doors. Arriving in one such village we tour the magnificent house and gardens of Blenheim Palace, the greatest building of the English Baroque. Later we return to Stratford to visit Shakespeare's Birthplace, full of interesting memorabilia and artefacts relating to the life and times of the Great Bard. Later, join your Tour Director for a traditional Sunday Roast Dinner, washed down with a pint of local beer or two.
Accommodation: The Stratford Hotel, Stratford-upon-Avon (dinner included in a local restaurant).
Highlights: chocolate box villages of the Cotswolds, Blenheim Palace and medieval Stratford-upon-Avon, Shakespeare's birthplace.
Llangollen and the Welsh Marches
Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, Llangollen, Wales
Today our journey across the scenic border marches between England and Wales then in to the ancient land of Wales. We make our way to the small Welsh town of Llangollen, home of the nation's annual festival. Llangollen is situated on the River Dee and steeped in myth and legend, spend time exploring the Victoria Promenade and its delightful shops and cafés. Later we cross back into England and continue north to the English Lake District, where your traditional country style hotel is set in the pretty village of Bowness-on-Windermere, right on the shores of England's largest lake.
Accommodation: The Old England Hotel, Windermere (dinner included).
Highlights: Llangollen and the English Lake District.
English Poets and the Lake District
Our day today is devoted to the rugged mountains and tranquil waters of the scenic wonderland that is the English Lake District – an inspiration to a host of English painters and poets. We visit Wordsworth's grave in the small churchyard at Grasmere. We then enjoy the scenic beauty of the English Lake District on a relaxing cruise to admire the magnificent views of rugged mountains, secluded bays and wooded islands. Finally, we embark on a nostalgic steam train ride along the banks of the beautiful River Leven.
Accommodation: The Old England Hotel, Windermere (dinner included in a local restaurant).
Highlights: the wonderland of the Lake District, Wordsworth's grave and a steam train ride.
The Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
Arthur's Seat, Edinburgh, Scotland
Crossing the Scottish border at Gretna, for years the destination of eloping English lovers, we continue through the Southern Uplands to Edinburgh. This afternoon, a local expert guides you through Edinburgh Castle containing the Honours of Scotland, the oldest Royal regalia in the British Isles. Then we follow the Royal Mile to Holyroodhouse Palace where Mary Queen of Scots lived, pass along Princes Street, passing the ornate Scott Memorial, to the 18th century 'New Town' with its classical Adam facades. This evening, enjoy a fresh and tasty dinner.
Accommodation: Holyrood Hotel, Edinburgh (dinner included in a local restaurant).
Highlights: Gretna, Edinburgh Castle, the Royal Mile and Holyroodhouse Palace.
The Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
Today enjoy a day at leisure to explore this magnificent city at your own pace; wander the winding streets of the cobbled old town or shop on the famous Princes Street. Enjoy the national museums and galleries in the shadow of the Burns Monument before strolling through Princes Street Gardens or climbing to Arthur's Seat for spectacular views over the city. You may choose to head for the Royal Yacht Britannia in Leith Docks or view the modern Scottish Parliament. In the evening, selected departures attend the spectacular Edinburgh Military Tattoo. For your evening meal enjoy a Freestyle Evening which offers you a selection of local restaurants to choose from.
Accommodation: Holyrood Hotel (dinner included in a choice of local restaurants).
Highlights: explore Edinburgh including Princes Street, Arthur's Seat and the Royal Yacht Britannia.
Alnwick Castle and Yorkshire
Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, England
Departing Edinburgh, we pass south through the Scottish Borders region and through Northumberland to Alnwick Castle; this magnificent castle is steeped in history and was used as the location for many films and TV productions, most famously Hogwarts in Harry Potter and Downton Abbey. We then head over the border to visit Hadrian's Wall, the boundary of the civilised world in Roman times. Stay for the next two nights in a grand Victorian hotel, set among a landscape that fuelled the imagination of the Brontë sisters in writing their classic novels.
Accommodation: Marriott Hollins Hall Hotel, Shipley, near York (dinner included).
Highlights: the Scottish Borders, Alnwick Castle and Hadrian's Wall.
York and York Minster
Our day today is dedicated to the beautiful medieval city of York and its surrounds. Join a Local Expert to stroll within the town walls and explore the maze of narrow, cobbled streets, including the famous Shambles. We then see the imposing York Minster, Britain's largest medieval, gothic cathedral. In the afternoon, why not visit Harewood House, one of Britain's finest stately homes, magnificently set in the Yorkshire countryside. Later in the evening, raise your glass with friends at your finalé Celebration Dinner.
Accommodation: Marriott Hollins Hall Hotel, Shipley, near York (celebration dinner included).
Highlights: the City of York, York Minster and the famous Shambles.
Robin Hood Country and the Colleges of Cambridge
Cambridge University, Cambridge, England
Hear legendary tales as you journey towards 'Robin Hood Country' even though little remains of his beloved Sherwood Forest. Now a glimpse of Britain's ancient tradition of learning as you visit university city of Cambridge; enjoy free time to explore the tranquil quadrangles of the colleges and stroll beside the river Cam for superb views of King's College Chapel. Your journey concludes on return to London.
Highlights: Sherwood Forest, Cambridge City and Kings College Cambridge.
Escorted coach tour: Elegance of Great Britain
- Step back in time at Chartwell House, Churchill's former home.
- Visit the 14th century Beaulieu Palace and the National Motor Museum.
- See Salisbury Cathedral and an original copy of the Magna Carta.
- Explore the priceless art and tapestries of the Baroque masterpiece at Blenheim Palace.
- Relax in the scenic Lake District with a lake cruise and steam train ride.
- Join an expert in Edinburgh Castle to view the Scottish Crown Jewels.
- For a limited time in August, you are witness to the breathtaking spectacle of the Edinburgh Military Tattoo (selected departures).
- Visit Alnwick Castle, steeped in history and used in the filming of Downton Abbey.
- See Winston Churchill's statue on the village green of Westerham.
- Visit the historic cathedral town of Winchester.
- Visit the mysterious stone circle of Avebury on the Salisbury Plain.
- See the Jacobean timbered buildings of Ludlow.
- Learn about the life of poet William Wordsworth in the Lake District.
- See Holyroodhouse Palace and the 18th century 'New Town' of Edinburgh.
- See Jedburgh Abbey and stop at Hadrian's Wall.
- See York Minster, city walls and medieval "Shambles".
- Walk among the historic colleges of Cambridge.
- Scenic drives: Cotswolds, New Forest, Lake District.
- 10 x breakfasts
- 10 Evening meals including:
- 2 x three-course dinners
- 1 x welcome dinner
- 4 x restaurant dinners
- 1 x dine around
- 1 x freestyle dining
- 1 x celebration dinner
- Bowness-on-Windermere: Nestled on the shore of England's largest lake, experience traditional country house charm at The Old England Hotel.
- Shipley: The grand and historic Victorian Hollins Hall Marriott Hotel offers superb leisure facilities, including an indoor heated swimming pool and an 18-hole championship golf course.
INCLUDED FIRST CLASS SERVICES
- The services of your professional Tour Director.
- All quality overnight hotel accommodation, as per the tour itinerary, featuring twin rooms and private facilities. All service charges, taxes and porterage are included.
- Enjoy the unique comfort of luxury air-conditioned 40 seat coach with extended leg room and on-board restroom.
- Complimentary WiFi in the majority of hotels either in the lobby or bedroom areas and available on most touring coaches.
- Personal radio headsets for all guided visits allowing you to wander without missing any commentary.
- A travel wallet with your tour documentation.
- Maximum group-size of 40 passengers on board.
- Pre or post tour hotel accommodation in London.
- Airport transfers or transport to/from your departure/return cities.
- Your tour already includes a comprehensive sightseeing program however some additional excursions may be available to enhance your trip further - these are fully optional and bookable during your tour.
Escorted coach tour: Elegance of Great Britain
DEPARTURE DATES 2017
|ADDITIONAL FEATURES||PRICE PER PERSON
(sharing twin/ double)
|Thu 07 Sep, 2017||Sun 17 Sep, 2017||Guaranteed||£ 2,425|
|Thu 21 Sep, 2017||Sun 01 Oct, 2017||Guaranteed||£ 2,425|
Single Supplement: £470.
This tour starts early morning (around 7am) on the first day of travel and returns around 6pm on the final day of travel. If you require pre or post tour accommodation in central London, please let us know.
- Prices are per person based on two people sharing a twin/double room.
- Prices are for land only tours and all tours are subject to availability.
- Prices are correct at the time of publishing to website but are subject to confirmation at time of booking.
- Prices are in British Pounds Sterling (GBP£) for approximate costs in other currencies please contact us.
- All trip details are correct at time of publishing to website however are subject to change.
2018 DEPARTURES AND PRICING
We have 2018 tour dates and pricing available and are in the process of updating our website. Please contact us with your preferred dates and we will send you a quotation.